I have been a longtime fan of Joie. I am constantly drawn to the brands relaxed, chic style. When it comes to contemporary brands, I always search for pieces that will pass the season test and every piece of Joie in my closet has exceeded with flying colors. The first time I saw this, I fell in love with this dress.
Is there one piece in your closet that you kind of wish you could wear everyday?
For me, the shirtdress is it. I honestly wish I could wear those extremely oversized shirt dresses without looking like I am wearing a burlap sack, for lack of a better word. Being petite definitely has its struggles when it comes to the oversized trend. You have to make sure the proportions work for your size or else you end up looking like the dress is wearing you. I found this shirtdress a few weeks back and I have been wearing it ever since.
Summer wedding season is in full swing and figuring out what to wear when the invitation doesn’t give any guidelines can be tough. Here are a few tips I follow when it comes to dressing for a summer wedding:
1. Dress for the occasion. Find out what kind of venue you are heading to for the couple’s big day. If it is a nighttime wedding in a ballroom, search in your closet (or on the racks) for something a little more formal and classic. If the wedding is outdoor under a tent, go for something flowy and don’t be afraid of color.
2. If you are anything like me,finding the perfect black dress that can be worn with different accessories is such an important staple in my closet. There are so many events when it comes to weddings, so having a go-to LBD is a great tool when you are having one of those “nothing to wear” moments.
3. Accessorize. Clutches are so important when it comes to summer weddings, but if you are like me, I like to buy pieces I can wear for multiple occasions. Viva Creatures! is one of my new favorite brands to find unique (and reasonably priced) handbags. Known for their all natural approach, my navy Viking is my go-to bag on a nightly basis (and I have already worn it to 3 weddings). A little background, Viva Creatures was created by Nora, a former attorney turned designer. She was lusting over these great leather handbags, but as an animal lover could not get passed how those beautiful bags were made. All of Viva Creatures bags are made with animal-free fabrics. Honestly, until I started reading about the company, I didn’t know! The quality, feel and construction is amazing and I love the fact they are made in the USA. My next bag I have to have is the Juno. It is so versatile for day and night.
3. Don’t wear white. I know I am old school when it comes to this rule, but I always stray away from white for someone else’s big day. That is unless the invite states to wear a specific color. Have you ever been to a wedding like this? I went to one a few years back and the pictures are incredible!
4. Skip the dress and opt for a skirt. No one ever said you have to wear a dress to a summer wedding. I am headed to a black tie wedding late this summer and I cannot wait to wear this skirt and top combo. A great investment piece, like this skirt, can be mixed and matched to make completely different looks!
5. Comfortable shoes are so important. When you are 5’2″, taking off your shoes on the dance floor is not ideal when your hubby is a foot taller than you. Make sure to find the perfect heels or wedges so you can dance the night away.
It’s a reason to escape from reality, even if it is just for one extra day. If you read Fridays post, you would know that we stayed in Dallas for the holiday weekend and had big plans to play tourist in our own city. Thanks to constant rain showers, our plans changed from spending our days outside to spending the majority of our days in bed snuggling with the puppies, listening to the rain fall, and watching old 90s movies. It was exactly what we needed.
Whether you took a quick getaway or stayed home, I hope your long weekend was full of sunshine, watermelon and great friends. Now go enjoy your day off and explore!
Life works in mysterious ways and for me, I have recently realized how important it is to let life take you to unexpected places.
There is something about summer that gives me an extra sense of adventure and an itch to travel the world. Since we are saving our pennies for our wedding this Spring and hopefully a new house; my dreams of a European adventure may not happen until next year (well, minus our honeymoon…but that’s for another time).
The nice thing about living in a new city, is that adventure is right at our fingertips. So Patrick and I have been planning tons of date nights to explore and try new places. Other than the fact I probably have gained 10 pounds from eating out multiple times a week, these long summer nights have been amazing for dining al fresco at our new favorite restaurants. This past weekend, we “traveled” down the street to a quaint little french restaurant and I felt like I was transported back to a little Paris cafe. It may not actually be Paris but these are the memories I will remember forever.
“The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new.”- Socrates
It has now been three months since we moved to Dallas, and to say I am not completely head over heels with this city would be a lie. Shopping, great food, and amazing friends have left me feeling full. I found myself focusing most of my time off of my phone and computer (minus, the countless hours of work) without reason.
For the last two weeks, I went back and fourth about calling it quits, but every time the thought came into my mind I had a sinking feeling in my stomach. I still felt like there was something missing. The more I sat on the idea, the more I came to the realization that A Dash of Details is my passion. It is something I wake up in the morning for, and it is something I could spend countless hours on (even if only 2 people are reading my letters everyday). Never in a million years did I think this blog would give me so much joy and an outlet for all of the things I love. The funny thing is I was never much of a writer growing up, but sitting down at my computer screen everyday, thoughts just spill out onto the pages. This space has always been about what I love, who I am and all the little details in between.
While I don’t know where I am going just yet, I am focusing on building the new rather than focusing my energy on where I was. So, in case you missed me, I am back and ready to spill my heart out onto these pages again.
While almost every blogger I know is headed down south to my new hometown, I will be jet setting to San Diego for a fun-filled wedding weekend, with my MOH survival kit in tow. I guess this being my first time as an MOH, I didn’t know what to expect, other than the fact that the bride-to-be is not only family but one of my best friends. Naturally, a destination wedding called for some major shopping sprees (and thanks to the Shopbop Sale, I scored almost everything I needed for the weekend). I plan on wearing crochet cover ups and cute swimsuits during the day and flowy dresses with my new favorite sandals at night. I am just so giddy thinking about this long weekend.
* You can also shop directly by clicking on the plus signs on each image.
xox- a dash of details
https://adashofdetails.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Asset-5.png00Ali Leighhttps://adashofdetails.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Asset-5.pngAli Leigh2014-04-24 00:32:092014-04-24 00:34:45TRAVEL DETAILS: SAN DIEGO
For me, winter could not be over soon enough. I am missing sunshine and heat on my skin.
Being a southern girl at heart, there is nothing better than ditching that parka for a sundress and while this does not seem to be in my near future just yet, I am starting to add some spring prints and colors to brighten up my days. This Spring is all about light denim, pastels, and rose gold details; and I am a fan. While it didn’t last long, this past weekend I enjoyed a little taste of what was to come with 60 degree temps and a flood of sunshine. Hopefully there is a lot more of that to come soon. Bring on the sunshine and reasons for cute new clothes!
Ready to jumpstart on your Spring wardrobe? Have you had a chance to look at their new arrivals at the Shopbop Sale? I am pretty obsessed with these espadrilles, this bag, and this OTTE dress. It is the perfect time to buy some of those investment pieces because you are going to SAVE, SAVE, SAVE!
3 Years! I cannot believe ADOD is three years old today! As a special little present to all of you, I am so excited to share the new A Dash of Details. I really did loved my old site, but I knew it was time for a facelift and make the move to WordPress. After 6 months, lots of help from a good friend and a few sleepless nights last week, I want to welcome you to the new A Dash of Details. The new site is much easier to navigate. You can now find all of my social links (and subscribe) at the top right of your screen, these will stay with you when you scroll down the page. Also, be sure to check out the new menu bar at the top. I have updated the ABOUT ME section and now you can search by category, just scroll over CATEGORIES on the bar to find what you are looking for. If you want something more specific, there is a search bar for easy use! Also, you don’t want to miss the SHOP, now you can find all of my favorites in just a click of a button. Since I made the switch from Squarespace to WordPress, make sure to bookmark my page and also re-follow me on Bloglovin’ to make sure ADOD shows up in your reader every morning.
In honor of the new ADOD, I thought it was only fitting to pull out the sequins. The holidays are the perfect excuse too add some sparkle!