TGIF! Do you ever feel like the week after a trip you need another week to recover? It takes me a few days to get back in my schedule and routine and by the time I blink it’s Friday again. This weekend I plan to spend my time catching up on work and prepping for our upcoming trip to Nantucket. I am excited to hit the beaches, show Patrick the island for the first time and spend time with great friends!
But now onto this dress. If your schedule looks anything like mine, your weekends for the next 2 years are filled with weddings. I have said it before but these events can get a little pricey. From the bachelorette parties, to the showers and then the actual weddings, you need something cute to wear to all of them. ASOS has always been a go-to of mine for cute dresses. Especially because they are one of the only brands that carries cute petite options. So when they reached out about their wedding shop, I knew it was the perfect place to find affordable dresses for every event.
Summer wedding season is in full swing and figuring out what to wear when the invitation doesn’t give any guidelines can be tough. Here are a few tips I follow when it comes to dressing for a summer wedding:
1. Dress for the occasion. Find out what kind of venue you are heading to for the couple’s big day. If it is a nighttime wedding in a ballroom, search in your closet (or on the racks) for something a little more formal and classic. If the wedding is outdoor under a tent, go for something flowy and don’t be afraid of color.
2. If you are anything like me,finding the perfect black dress that can be worn with different accessories is such an important staple in my closet. There are so many events when it comes to weddings, so having a go-to LBD is a great tool when you are having one of those “nothing to wear” moments.
3. Accessorize. Clutches are so important when it comes to summer weddings, but if you are like me, I like to buy pieces I can wear for multiple occasions. Viva Creatures! is one of my new favorite brands to find unique (and reasonably priced) handbags. Known for their all natural approach, my navy Viking is my go-to bag on a nightly basis (and I have already worn it to 3 weddings). A little background, Viva Creatures was created by Nora, a former attorney turned designer. She was lusting over these great leather handbags, but as an animal lover could not get passed how those beautiful bags were made. All of Viva Creatures bags are made with animal-free fabrics. Honestly, until I started reading about the company, I didn’t know! The quality, feel and construction is amazing and I love the fact they are made in the USA. My next bag I have to have is the Juno. It is so versatile for day and night.
3. Don’t wear white. I know I am old school when it comes to this rule, but I always stray away from white for someone else’s big day. That is unless the invite states to wear a specific color. Have you ever been to a wedding like this? I went to one a few years back and the pictures are incredible!
4. Skip the dress and opt for a skirt. No one ever said you have to wear a dress to a summer wedding. I am headed to a black tie wedding late this summer and I cannot wait to wear this skirt and top combo. A great investment piece, like this skirt, can be mixed and matched to make completely different looks!
5. Comfortable shoes are so important. When you are 5’2″, taking off your shoes on the dance floor is not ideal when your hubby is a foot taller than you. Make sure to find the perfect heels or wedges so you can dance the night away.