In effort to start baking and cooking more at home, I took this Sunday (while my husband was watching football) to test out a few new go-to recipes for the week. First up on my list was these easy banana muffins. They are the perfect quick breakfast when you are on the go in the morning. Reheat them all week and spread a little almond butter on top for extra protein ;)
Head to the bottom of the post of the full recipe.
I adapted the recipe from this banana bread recipe from Cookie + Kate (one of my go-to blogs for healthy recipes).
I am all about making things simple and easy in the morning, especially before my coffee, so these muffins make it easy to grab and go, and also are great for portion control. If I made a loaf, I would end up eating the entire thing :)
HEALTHY BANANA MUFFINS
- ⅓ cup melted coconut oil
- ½ cup honey or maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas
- ¼ cup milk of choice or water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1¾ cups whole wheat flour (next time I might try almond flour to make them gluten free)
- I added a half cup of chopped walnuts, but I like it either way :)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Place paper baking cups into a 12- count muffin tin.
- In a large bowl, beat the oil and honey together together with a whisk. Add the eggs and beat well, then whisk in the mashed bananas and milk.
- Add the baking soda, vanilla, salt and cinnamon and whisk together.
- Finally, slowly pour flour into mixture and stir until combined. A few lumps are okay! Once the mixture is ready, fold in any nuts or chocolate chips.
- Scoop about 2 tablespoons of the batter into your muffin tin and sprinkle lightly with cinnamon and oats.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick that is inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let them sit for a few minutes, but then they are ready to serve! I love them right out of the oven, but the next day they are just as good!
xox- a dash of details